Saturday, December 10, 2011

Let Me Take the Christ Out of Christmas

Every where I turn this year, I keep seeing the advertisements about keeping Christ in Christmas. And that is all fine and dandy for those who do the whole religion thing, and actually believe in the story of Christ and the Virgin Mary, and everything that goes along with it. But that isn't the Christmas I celebrate.

The Christmas I celebrate is about decorated trees, Santa Claus, cookies, and presents. Nothing more, and nothing less. Well maybe a couple Christmas story books, and traditions from childhood as well.

I can't say I was raised overly religious, or religious at all. Lets do a little bit of religious math. 

My mother is Protestant.
My father is Roman Catholic.
I am Mormon.
HUH?
Yup! I am Mormon by baptism. My husband is Catholic, and my kids are nothing. I would not allow them to be baptized as babies like the Catholic religion does because in my church we believe the age of accountability is eight, and until then I would rather they are not baptized against their will, and be allowed to make their own choices. Like I did.

I did not become an actual member of a church till I was 21 years old. That is a whole other story.

Lately, I am kind of pissed at God. Which has fueled the lack of religion in my house. My husband won't come to church with me, and I won't go to church with him... My sister is dead, and I blame God for taking her from us. My husband's brother passed away... I blame God. Just over all... a lot of shitty things have happened, and I place a large chunk of my blame with the big guy.

Since my kids wouldn't know who Jesus Christ was, or God... We skip the whole religious part of Christmas, because that is what we choose. 

I don't expect everyone to do the same. I don't care if your religion thinks Santa is a three headed purple dragon... just respect that I don't keep Christ in Christmas because that just isn't what we do in our house.

We celebrate the whole Santa Claus commercialized holiday, and I don't really have any problem with that. 

You can keep your Christ in Christmas, but let me leave Christ out of mine!


1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I want to move to your town and become your BFF. Or would that be too stalkerish?

    ReplyDelete