Monday, December 12, 2011

Addie's Cranio-Facial Plastic Surgeon Appointment

This morning Addison went for her appointment with a cranio-facial plastic surgeon affiliated with the Yale Children's Hospital.

First things first... I could not rave about Yale as a whole enough. They took care of my high risk needs when I was pregnant with Addison, and always had amazingly fantastic experiences there. This time was no different.

The office we went to was clean, catered to kids obviously, but of all ages... toys for Addie's age group and up. And I did not have to wait long at all. We had a 10am appointment and were there by 9:45 and I didn't even have time to fill out all the paperwork before they called us in.


No need for all the details of the appointment as a whole, but I know a lot of people have been waiting for the final verdict.

We were given two options. Addison has Plagiocephaly which basically means she has a flat spot on the back of her head, which was caused by Torticollis something my middle son had that was quickly corrected by a Chiropractor. Unfortunately for us our current insurance will not cover any kind of pediatric Chiropractor services, which I think is complete crap because they would rather pay for all this care than a Chiropractor, but that is a whole other post in itself!

The options?
1 - Physical therapy for a year with a 50% corrective rate.
2 - Home exercises, with a helmet for three months with a 85-90% corrective rate.

We have decided to go with the helmet.

I had a good cry in the car on the way to pick Ben up after leaving the appointment. It is hard for a mother to really accept there is something wrong, but I am thankful that it is really a non-serious form of Plagiocephaly, because none of her skull plates are fused.

I am also ok with dealing with this while she is only almost 8 months old because she won't remember, it will be off by her birthday, and she won't be old enough to understand the looks she may get in the store, or while out from cruel people. Because lets face it, kids, and even adults can be complete assholes.
I want to protect her from all of that. I wish I could have protected her from all of this to begin with.

I certainly feel like a failure as a mother, and it sucks.

But now it is time for me to put on my big girl mommy panties, get strong and make it through the next couple months with a smile on my face for Addison, and the boys. I am also hoping this experience will help to mold my son's into more accepting children, and make them better people as they grow. Especially my oldest.

Oh, and I will be for sure blinging her helmet out. Bows, bedazzle, anything I can do to make it cute, I certainly will be doing.

Thank you to all my readers for your support through this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment