Thursday, December 1, 2011

Would You Consider Being an Egg Donor?

The struggles of fertility are not something I can personally say I am familiar with. With my first son my husband and I thought we were doing something wrong, but three months later there was a bun in the oven, and taking three months to get pregnant is nothing at all in the grand scheme of things.

After I had my first son I actually had thought about becoming an egg donor. I live close to a highly reputable university and hospital with a large fertility clinic, and I thought why not give back while being able to make some money.


I looked into it, and how they do things, the process, and even filled out all the health forms, and sent them back. Then I talked with a family member who works in the same lab that discouraged my thoughts and ideas about going through with the egg donation process as a whole.

Then last week I was looking through craigslist and their help wanted posts and in Connecticut I came across a listing for an egg donor atlanta which stuck me as strange, but none the less it renewed my thoughts about writing about egg donation as a whole, because most posts about infertility treatment mainly focus on sperm donation.

The state of NY actually has a lot of good information through government health websites about becoming an egg donor, as well as the risks, and benefits in the long term.

One of the reasons I personally refrained from the process myself was the anonymous factor of it all, and how egg donation isn't as heavily monitored like sperm donation. There is no fool proof registry that would ensure one of my children didn't start dating a sibling in 20 years. Of course I know it sounds far fetched, but that was one of my biggest concerns.

There are a lot of awesome benefits as well, like being able to help a friend of family member have a child of their own if they cannot produce their own eggs, as well as the gift of life for a complete stranger. I cannot imagine how awesome of a feeling that would be not only for the donor, but also for the family that now has the chance to have a baby!

So Moms!  And even my readers out there who aren't moms yet!  Would you consider becoming an egg donor?

No comments:

Post a Comment